top of page

Investor Visa

Business meeting
Bar Chart

The E-2 nonimmigrant classification allows a national of a treaty country (a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to be admitted to the United States when investing a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business.

Investor Visa for Treaty Investors


Individuals with significant funds to invest can come to the U.S with an E-2 visa to set up a business, practice, or office. Although the E-2 visa does not provide residency (or a Green Card), one of the significant advantages is the ability to extend the E-2 visa indefinitely or for as long as the business is viable.

Consular Processing

If the investor is outside of the United States, a request for E-2 classification may not be made on Form I-129 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Instead, the U.S. Department of State allows investors to apply for an E-2 nonimmigrant visa abroad. 

Change of Status

If the investor is currently in the United States in legal status, they may file Form I-129 to request a change of status to E-2 classification. 

Electronic Store

Did you know...?

Investing in a franchise can be a good strategy to obtain an E-2 visa and to ensure that you start a successful business in the United States. However, as an E-2 Investor, you want to carefully evaluate your options to determine if the franchise model is right for you.

Franchise models are generally viewed more favorably because of their successful business models with developed, tried, and true systems, as well as their professionally prepared operations manuals, marketing, and training materials.

Schedule a Consultation

To schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys and discuss your questions regarding investor visas and/or change of status, please click on the following box:

bottom of page