top of page

Temporary Work Visas

Engineers and Businesspeople
Colleagues at Work

Temporary work visas are for noncitizens who want to enter the United States for employment lasting a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite. In most cases, these categories require the prospective employer to first file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Workers


Workers in a specialty occupation, as well as the following sub-classifications:

  • H-1B1 - Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation from Chile and Singapore.

  • H-1B2 - Specialty occupations related to Department of Defense Cooperative Research and Development projects or Co-production projects.

  • H-1B3 - Fashion models of distinguished merit and ability.


This category permits qualified Canadian and Mexican to engage in business activities at a professional level. Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. 

This category allows a U.S. employer to transfer an employee working for a qualifying affiliate abroad in either:


  1. A managerial or executive capacity
    (L-1A) or,

  2. A specialized knowledge capacity

This category is for accomplished athletic teams and athletes (P-1A), members of entertainment groups (P-1B), and artists or entertainers (P-2 or P-3) that have received an offer of short-term employment from a U.S. based employer.

Long-distance Run

Did you know...?

In addition to the categories mentioned above, there are other types of petitions an employer could file for you, such as:

  • H-2A - Temporary or seasonal agricultural workers

  • H-2B - Temporary non-agricultural workers.

  • H-3 - Trainees other than medical or academic as well as practical training in the education of handicapped children.

  • I - Representatives of foreign press, radio, film or other foreign information media.

  • O-1A - Individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics.

  • O-1B - Individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television industry.

  • Q-1 - Persons participating in an international cultural exchange program for the purpose of providing practical training, employment, and to share the history, culture, and traditions of the noncitizen's home country.

  • R-1 - Religious workers.

Schedule a Consultation

To schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys and discuss your questions regarding temporary work visas, please click on the following box:

bottom of page