top of page

Permanent Residence through Employment

Software Programmer
Work Environment

U.S. immigration law provides noncitizens with a variety of ways to become lawful permanent residents (get a Green Card) through employment in the United States.


First preference (EB-1) – priority workers

  • Noncitizens with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics.

  • Outstanding professors and researchers.

  • Certain multinational managers and executives.

Third preference (EB-3)

Skilled workers, professionals, or other workers.

Second preference (EB-2)

For noncitizens who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or who have exceptional ability (including requests for national interest waivers). 

Office Meeting

Did you know...?

Once the United States is able to grant you permanent residence based on your approved petition, your application for a Green Card could be done in two different ways:

  1. Adjustment of Status – If you are already in the United States, you can apply for permanent resident status without having to return to your home country to complete processing, as long as you have maintained your legal status in the country (though, you should contact an experienced immigration attorney in case you qualify under any of the exceptions provided by law).

  2. Consular Processing – If you are outside of the United States, you may apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate abroad for an immigrant visa in order to come to the United States and be admitted as a permanent resident.

Schedule a Consultation

To schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys and discuss your questions regarding permanent residence through employment, please click on the following box:

bottom of page