top of page
  • Writer's pictureMauricio Torres Sanchez

What can you do if your Form I-20 is terminated?

The Form I-20 is a document issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to SEVP-certified schools (Student and Exchange Visitor Program), especially for students and exchange students who are eligible for F-1 or M-1 status. Once a student has verified their eligibility and enrolled in the school they intend to study at, the school will be responsible for sending the Form I-20. This Form is extremely important because it proves that the student has been admitted to a certified school or university in the United States, so it also proves the validity of the student’s legal status.

The validity period printed on a Form I-20 is predetermined by the course of study and, if the student does not attend classes or has issues with complying with school policies, their I-20 may be terminated. If an I-20 is terminated, the student would consequently lose their status.

Now, what can you as an F-1 student if your I-20 is canceled? There are two ways to solve your problem:

  • You could consider leaving the U.S. and returning with a new and active I-20; or

  • You may submit an application for Reinstatement of your student status using Form I-539 and filing it with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This is a possibility if you are still in the United States, but you are required to file this no later than 150 days from the date your I-20 is terminated.

You may apply for a Reinstatement if you can prove that the termination of your I-20 was due to unexpected circumstances. For example, absences due to illness, natural disasters or any other atypical situations.

In a Reinstatement application, you are also required to prove that you are eligible for reinstatement and must meet the following requirements:

  • Not be deportable.

  • Not work or have worked in the U.S. without authorization.

  • You intend to attend a certified school and that school has issued you a new Form I-20 with a reinstatement endorsement.

  • You have no other history of violating your status.

  • You have not been out of status for more than 5 months.

If this is your situation or if you have any other questions regarding your F-1 status or your Form I-20 and you do not know how to proceed, schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys. We understand the many issues involved and are ready to help you navigate your options and the best way to move forward.

Related Posts

See All


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page